Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ideal Husband is done...

While this is essentially my fight choreography forum, I did want to mention that we've completed an all too brief run of Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" after an elongated yet strangely underwhelming rehearsal process. In the end we came across with a suitable production of the piece, but I was left wondering about some of the choices - always an uncomfortable feeling when one is performing in the show one is questioning.

That said, I worked with some old friends, new friends, and was exposed to some folks who really knocked my socks off with regards to talent. A learning experience all around, and a fun one. But, how does this relate to my fight choregraphy?

I now have a very clear idea of what feeling adrift without usable guidance in critical moments can feel like. It's an experience I suppose I've been very fortunate to have missed out on in the last 12 years of performing in and around NYC. As a fight choregrapher I've resolved to insure that no performers I'm working with ever have that feeling. Especially since if it was that disconcerting when the most rigorous physical action involved changing my pants, I don't want to put performers through a fight where every move isn't justified and cleanly worked if I can help it.

Which brings me to 3boys, coming soon at the NYC Fringe Festival. It's actually an excellent script, by Becca Schlossberg, and I think provokes some interesting questions on the nature of our relationships to man's best friends. With the plethora of options available to see I do hope folks make it out to see this show. It's well worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment