Thursday, April 1, 2010

Seriously. I just got really booked.

Yes yes, it's April Fools Day, yes, yes, I'm a master of comedy. Now I'll tell you what's going on...

First off, rehearsals for "The Vigil or the Guided Cradle" are trucking along - it's a tough piece, and so far I'm having a blast with it. I haven't yet been able to climb into the aforementioned device, but I have a feeling by the time the run is over, I'll really be hating that thing. Which is I suppose, a normal attitude towards a 15th century mechanism for causing pain.

I'm also getting to learn a bit about Crystal Skillman's process as a writer - and how open she is to working with director John Hurley is really great. I've worked with writers who are convinced of their own genius and extremely resistant to change a scene. Actually, I may be describing myself when I write, but that's besides the point. It's really becoming an ensemble piece in the best sense of the word as a creepy moment has now gone into truly horrific, just by changing a few little things. I will not spoil it... but... the implied violence and feeling that we are seconds away from something that is straight up EVIL creates some very good theater.

And if that weren't enough - today I also received word that I'm going to be hanging around the Brick theater over in Brooklyn a lot in the next few months.

Why you ask?

Well I'll tell you. I blarhgged (which is my way of saying blogged - sounds more like hurking up something) a lot about "Hack." It was fun, silly, and regrettably over in January. Or so we thought...

The Brick's Too Soon Festival has selected Crystal's "Hack - The Live DVD Experience" to run for 5 shows, which means that we do the entire show in one night, 5 times over. A fully staged version also means I get to expand and rehearse the fights exponentially more - and we've got much higher production value than slapping this together at the Battle Ranch of the VC (who are unsurprisingly running a show called "Alice in Slasherland" at the moment. I haven't caught it yet, but I hear things).

Oh and lastly, anyone who's known me for at least two years can probably testify that I was mightily displeased with what went down at the "Mock the Classics" fundraiser in April of 2008. So displeased was I, that a formal challenge to one of the producers was issued. Dawn-ish in June of 2008 I shot the man and continued my undefeated streak of redressing wrongs on the field of honor with paintball pistols.

I vowed to never to do such an event again as well, it was so... distressing.

Except I am doing it again. I'm referee-ing the event, and this time... woe to any audience member who displeases me, or endangers a performer. Yes, this time I won't be the one getting screamed at, pelted and generally abused. This time, I get to bounce audience chumps.

And I've been needing a workout. I'm sadisitically looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment