Monday, September 28, 2009

TV fighting

A while ago I got to spend a solid block of time with Mr. Stone, my current training "master" working on more modular and gunting work, and he and I got to talking about fight choreography.

There were several times during the training where I asked Stone to repeat the combinations with me again. We found that generally with the deletion of a few things, the combative and defensive techniques were readily adaptable to safe stage play. So there's a combat system that's easy to learn that can also work effectively in staged combat.

I mentioned that I'm just not seeing this kind of advanced work on stage and even on television and in film it's less prevalent - is it a question of this being not particularly showy or flashy, or is this a matter of it being less well known?

Thankfully, Mr. Stone not only had an idea of exactly what I meant, but he then busted out DVDs of a show called "Leverage." While the show is fun and mostly quality from what I saw, one thing stood out... Christian Kane's fight work as "Eliot Spencer" is excellent. I'm still trying to dig up who the choreographer is exactly, but hands down, it's some of the best fight work I've seen on TV. At least, in the category of "fighters who are supposed to know how to fight."

I'm also watching the DVDs of Lost, and while it's a fun show, people are whiffing out haymakers and thunder-punches all over the place, and that doctor - Jack? He's a pretty fair hand with a pistol and an AK-47. I suppose I'll get some back story reveal about when he learned how to do all of that. Right? Secrets...

In personal news, I've preordered my Desangut set from Cherusker Messer...


Yeah, they're great. Like nasty little karambits with 1.75 inch blades and that handy ring off the bottom. With Bram's signature ramp on the blade spine they also work as less than lethal tools. I won't see them until sometime in 2010 I think, but I'm happy that they're being made. I ordered number 25 out of a first run of 200 signature sets. Now I'm waiting on the newer non-Ontario Abaniko. 7 inch cutting blade. That's not intended for everyday carry in my world by the way. More for camping. OR ZOMBIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment